This building was the subject of a study carried out in 2011. Located on one of Dublin’s important eighteenth century streets, the City Assembly House has played a central role in the development of Dublin city.
Construction began in 1765 for the Society of Artists. This fine building has over the centuries held a variety of uses, including offices of the City Hall, the Guild of Merchants, the Old Dublin Society, and most recently the Dublin Civic Museum.
Refurbishment of the building is about to commence to provide a venue for exhibitions, heritage activities, and a new headquarters for the Irish Georgian Society.
The society has launched a campaign to help restore this historically significant building.